Thursday, June 3, 2010

Autism & Impulse Control

With autism, no victory is too small--ever.

Impulse control has been a problem for me for as long as I can remember. My frontal lobe just never wants to seem to cooperate with the rest of me despite the fact that I know how important it is to be patient. It's like it screams, "Forget about now. I want this done yesterday!" Remember snail mail? In my childhood, when I sent out a letter, I always checked the mailbox for a reply the same day. Talk about impatient.

Since I've not noticed much change in this area over the years, I recently decided to target this problem with prayer. And today there was a change during my lunchtime.

Normally when I heat up food in the microwave, I tear off the wrapper and dig right in. Nevermind that I always burn my entire mouth in the process. But today I got out a plate, put my food on it, set the table, sat down and actually waited for my meal to cool off before taking that first bite.

I also put ice cream out to let it soften while I ate, and in doing so, I didn't bend a spoon trying to dig it out of the carton! And wonder of wonders, I didn't eat the ice cream directly out of the carton. I put it in a bowl and thus practiced portion control today, too. That's also a rarity, I'll tell you.

To me, it's the smaller things in life that give me the most pleasure. Enjoying a meal is a rich experience in my opinion. Today I was able to do that for the first time in a long time.
Do you have a victory over autism you would like to share?

I am still confident of this: I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. ~Psalm 27:13

No comments:

Post a Comment