Sunday, July 11, 2010

Autism & Health Issues

Accepting and celebrating the thread of your own personality is the first grasp of the Grand Weaver's design in your life. ~Ravi Zacharias from The Grand Weaver.

It occurred to me recently that anyone reading this blog and unfamiliar with healing prayer might think my interest in it has to do with some sort of disastifaction with my personality or with any autistic person's personality.

This is not so. The truth is, I like myself. It took me a long time for me to learn how to be friends with myself, but it happened. And over the last few years, I've met several autistic people who have charmed the socks right off of my feet. There's nothing about their personality I'd ever change, either, and I love them just as they are.

What I don't like about autism is the number of health problems that seem to be a part of this package. I don't care for the sensory overload, either. There's nothing worse than having a good time with people but then just inexplicably shutting down in the middle of a conversation. I don't like being forced to retreat into myself when all I want to do is to really be a part of things. This doesn't happen often anymore, but I prefer for it to not happen at all.

So when I encourage you to give prayer a try, I'm not telling you to do it because I think you or your children are not good enough as you are. All people deserve to be loved simply because they exist and for no other reason. I just don't want people to overlook the fact that autism is not just about a brain that is wired differently. The whole body is wired differently, and it is prone to go haywire at the drop of a hat--the effects of which can be quite uncomfortable if not debilitating.

My health issues (many of which are better now, but at one point were almost deadly) are what I target in prayer--not my personality. Not the way I think or even speak, in terms of what I say to others. I am unique and increasingly happy to be so. I hope you feel the same way about you. You are, after all, fearfully and wonderfully made.

No comments:

Post a Comment