Friday, December 10, 2010

A Child Is Born



The Birth of Jesus
Despite the many times I heard the story of the birth of Jesus, I have to admit that for years I really didn't understand the reasons He came to live with us here on Earth. I knew Jesus was a prophet, and of course, our Savior, but even those things I only knew in a limited and solely intellectual sense. 

Just a few years ago, however, I developed a curiosity about the Lord's emotions--what did He feel when He taught the disciples? When He was about to die on the cross or ate dinner with His friends (Yes, even the Lord had friends!)? He was fully God but fully human, too. Both. His humanity intrigued me to the point where I became hungry to know more about His too short time here on earth.

I was shocked and startled to see, through reading the Scriptures, that Jesus was first and foremost a healer. He never sought the glory He was due while living on earth. He rarely spoke of being the Messiah, though He didn't deny it when identified as such. Instead He said in Luke 4:18-19, "The Spirit of the Lord is on me, because he has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners and recovery of sight for the blind, to release the oppressed, to proclaim the year of the Lord's favor."

Did you notice the word because? "The Spirit of the Lord is on me because..." Jesus was not anointed because He was God's Son. He wasn't anointed because His birth fulfilled hundreds of Old Testament prophecies. He wasn't anointed for any other reason but to bring healing and life to His beloved children on this side of heaven. In fact, while Jesus lived on earth, no one ever died in His presence.

Jesus came to earth to be an exact representation of His Father in order to demonstrate God's love for us. He could only say what the Father said, and He could only do what He saw the Father doing. The Scriptures repeatedly say Jesus was filled with compassion and that compassion drove Him to heal. Did you know He healed every single person who came to Him for healing? Not one person was ever turned away.

Jesus is the same today as He was yesterday, and He will remain the same forever. So, if you are in need of healing this Christmas, I pray you will be filled with the knowledge of who He really is and why He really came to us. If you understand Him, you will understand you can ask and believe the Lord for anything. Whatever your need is, He truly wants to and can meet it.

This child, the Baby Jesus, was born just for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment