Monday, December 6, 2010

A Prayer for Parents



Nevertheless, I will bring health and healing to [Jerusalem]; I will heal my people and will let them enjoy abundant peace and security. ~Jeremiah 33:6

Jesus, today I lift up all the parents of autistic children to You. I cannot help but think of those who are longing for answers from You, from science, from books, from any source that will give these people a sense of relief and hope. Along with their children, I know they are suffering, Father.

Lord, draw Your children to Yourself. Hide them in the refuge of the shadow of your wings today where they can find rest in You. Answer them when they call out to You, and tell them great and unsearchable things they do not currently know, as You have promised in Jeremiah 33:3. Give each parent wisdom from Your throne. Give them hope today. Give them a sign You are still with them, and remind them You will never forsake them.

Restore order and Your peace to each home today. Release Your Holy Spirit in their hearts, and let Your love flow through each child who calls upon Your Name. Give each one of these parents the courage and the desire to pray for their own children rather than avoiding it because they feel they are not able or qualified. And I ask that they do not pray just for their autistic children, but for their non-autistic children as well. You desire to heal everyone who comes to You for healing.

I pray you provide respite for these parents. Relief from having to burn the candle at both ends. I pray for the restoration of extended family--that You call back aunts and uncles, cousins, and grandparents to step in and be a source of support for too many people trying to do too much on their own these days. Call us all back to You so you can teach us how to carry the burdens of others who have been weighed down for far too long. 

I bring these people to You today, Jesus, and ask you to wrap Your loving arms around them all, especially during Hanukkah and Christmas when life is or often feels a lot harder for those already struggling. Keep all of these people in Your perfect and tender care.

If you would like more information about how to pray for your family or even if you would simply like to know why it helps, Francis MacNutt's book pictured above is an excellent resource.

2 comments:

  1. This is such a beautiful,and much needed prayer, I am a parent of an autistic child. It really does my heart good to know there is someone sending up prayers just as i am. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, and God bless you, too, on your journey. I know it is hard to receive, but in the darkest times especially, I pray you will experience the beautiful comfort of our Father.

    ReplyDelete