Thursday, December 8, 2011

True Value


Over the last few years I've had the opportunity to meet numerous (and wonderful!) parents of autistic children. They are full of questions but the one usually asked is:

 Do you have any friends? 

The answer is yes, but I have to be honest. I've been looking to these friends to give me a sense of worth in my church and community that until a few years ago I never really had. 

Thankfully one of my newest friends recently caught onto my "value system." She lovingly reminded me that an object is only worth what another is willing to pay for it. 

Friends are great to have, but they do not determine my value in society no matter how much of a success I am and might become. My worth comes from Jesus who paid for my life with every drop of His precious blood.

Your autistic child doesn't need a large social network to be happy. In fact, our tension and anxiety often develop from trying to understand why you do not understand that we are content with what we already have and who we presently know.

And I know Jesus. For me...that's everything...and who could ever have a better friend than Him?  

No comments:

Post a Comment