Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Listen Up!


Last Sunday at church, I had breakfast with a few of my fellow worshipers. If ever I was inclined to feel self-conscious about having an autism diagnosis, this was not the day. 

Why? Because although there were just five of us eating together, I do not think the other four managed to complete one thought without  interrupting and talking loudly over each other. It wasn't quite a screaming match, but it was close.

I struggle with interrupting and listening well, too, but not to the degree that I observed. And given that all were educated adults with the exception of one person (a young teen), I think maybe it's not just autistic people who need to be concerned with learning social skills. 

Listening well is probably one of the most important abilities a human being can have. This skill communicates love in a way no other can. My prayer is that all of us, autistic or not, will be motivated to fine tune our hearts and ears to the voices of others and find those people more interesting than we find ourselves. 

My dear brothers, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry... ~James 1:19


No comments:

Post a Comment