Wednesday, May 22, 2013

If You Will...Then I Will (A Principle of Healing)

Some years ago, my left shoulder began to hurt whenever I lifted my arm. In the beginning I thought nothing of it, but after about two years of pain, the strength in my upper arm diminished altogether. No longer able to even lift it for six months, I believed the only route to healing was surgery for a torn rotator cuff. 

Yet one day, while thinking of my shoulder and what to do for it, my mind drifted off to the issue of forgiveness. I knew I had anger in my heart but why, until that moment, I did not know. But one by one, memories of all sorts surfaced in my mind. These were old memories of all the people who had once labeled and excluded me from all aspects of life because of my "disabilities." These were people I had completely forgotten about (like my kindergarten teacher!). But when I remembered and that buried pain was suddenly fresh and raw, I knew the only thing to do was to choose to forgive as an act of my will even though I certainly didn't feel like it. 

So, I did forgive. I called each person by name and said, "I forgive so and so for such and such." (It's very important to name the person along with the offense in order to take it to the Cross). At the time, I was also getting ready for the day during prayer. I was brushing my hair while praying, but after about a minute, I stopped in shock. I realized I had been brushing my hair with my left hand. Not only could I lift my arm, but for the first time in years, I had full range of motion. I was instantly healed, and I have not had a problem in the three years since. 

Whether we are praying for the healing of autism or any physical affliction, the principles of healing remain the same. Forgiveness goes a long way in setting a captive free. And to forgive we must be willing to repent of our desire to hold onto our anger towards other people no matter what the offense. 

I believe that God loves His children unconditionally but clearly throughout both the Old and New Testament, He does give conditions in order for His people to receive His many blessings. In fact, there are so many conditional statements in the Bible, I have long (and lovingly) labeled Jesus as the "If, Then Kind of God." If you look, you might be surprised at how many times those two words appear together in Scripture.

Even if it is your child with autism and you are the one withholding forgiveness, you can pray to forgive, and when you do you can expect some of sort release to manifest within your child. The blessings of God are not just for you, but for your entire family line as well.  Your actions do affect future generations and any act of righteousness can even heal the past as hard as that may be to believe.

Choosing to forgive...one of the most salient points in Scripture, to me, is a supreme act of obedience. But when we choose to obey on this level, I believe we can expect to see freedom and healing in our own lives and in the lives of those we love beyond what we can currently imagine.  

To God be all the glory for His love, compassion, healing, mercy, and deliverance. Amen. Bless you today on your healing journey.

IF my people will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, THEN will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land. Now my eyes will be OPEN and my ears ATTENTIVE to the prayers offered in this place. 

~2 Chronicles 7:14-15 (emphasis mine) 


No comments:

Post a Comment