Monday, July 14, 2014

Crossroads



Did you ever have the feeling that a season in your life was about to end yet no hint of what the future holds had been given to you?

My pastor used to say, "You cannot steer a ship that is not moving." And what do humans, as well as all animal species do when we/they are afraid? We freeze. That's kind of what I feel like doing right now, but this is not a suitable answer. 

I am currently reading not an ancient but a somewhat older book called Celebration of Discipline by Richard J. Foster. Regarding the spiritual discipline of study, he says studying consists of four steps, one of them being repetition.

He writes, "Repetition has received something of a bad name today. It is important to realize that sheer repetition without even understanding what is being repeated does affect the inner mind" (p. 56).

Interesting. Evidently this is called psychocybernetics,  a term coined around 1960. I kind of like this concept. There is no danger in repetition, I suppose. I think I'm going to try this today using the scripture, "I can do all things in Christ who strengthens me." 

It's not earth shattering, but it's action and action is movement!

No comments:

Post a Comment