Wednesday, July 16, 2014

More Than We Can Bear

Stories written by the parents of severely autistic children show up on my Facebook news feed on a fairly regular basis these days. 

I used to feel detached as I read them, but now the heaviness of the burdens of these families weigh upon my heart. I know they are living with more than they can bear. 

It's not true that God doesn't give us more than we can handle because if we could handle everything we would have no need of Him. Jesus desires relationship with us, and at least in my life, my problems more often than not put me square in front of the foot of the cross.  

But if you know of a family with an autistic child, I hope you will consider asking the Lord if there is anything you can do to ease their burdens or bring joy into their lives. Sometimes the most practical things we can do turn out to the biggest blessings for others. 

You can offer to:
  • Bring Mom a cup of coffee
  • Mow the family's lawn
  • Walk with Mom even for 15 minutes
  • Walk the family dog
  • Bring a fun dinner for the whole family
  • Pray with the family
  • Be a listening ear
If you are a parent of an autistic child and have some ideas about how others can practically brighten your day, please feel free to share your thoughts! 
  
Carry each other's burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ. ~Galatians 6:2

No comments:

Post a Comment