Friday, July 4, 2014

True Freedom


So who's the old guy? Well his name is George Read and he, along with a number of other guys, signed the Declaration of Independence (which didn't actually happen until August 2 but why split hairs?) in 1776. 


Through my grandmother, Dorothy Read Noll, he is also one of my ancestors.

Growing up, I didn't know much about my family history but over the last decade, facts about my relatives have emerged which has helped to transform the way I think about myself. 

But is it really that important dig up the past and shoot the breeze about our ancestors? Bruce Feiler seems to think so. According to his research, not only does creating and sharing a family narrative make for a happier household, but children with learning disabilities who know their families' history "do better when they face with challenges." (Dr. Sara Duke)

I think learning about our families and embracing our history, whether it is positive or negative (though honestly, it will always be a combination of the two), is a hidden key in the healing of autism. None of us is self made. Isn't autism the ultimate form of independence, wanting nothing and no one? This type of independence can and I think probably should be renounced. It may mean nothing but on the other hand it might mean everything. There's really nothing to lose by giving it a shot. 

Some trust in chariots and some in horses, but we trust in the name of the LORD our God. ~Psalm 20:7

May someone in this world today find true freedom and liberty from autism. Deliver your children, O Lord Jesus! 

*Just for kicks here are some instructions from 1785 on how to make your own fireworks.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment