Thursday, November 27, 2014

Meaningful Living

I have to admit that Thanksgiving is not all that joyful for me. It's supposed to be--I know that. And I feel guilty for not being able to drum up some sappy prayers or gushing expressions of gratitude while throwing down some turkey. It's just something I've never been able to do--say something that my heart doesn't really feel. It's kind of hard to be sincere amid all the football and Black Friday commercials anyway. 

I don't hate giving thanks. I just hate that I feel like it has to be done today, and if I don't, I'm a loser. Worse yet, if I don't spend the day with others, I'm an even bigger loser. When these things crossed my mind this afternoon, it kind of made me wonder if life really has any meaning to it. And if so, how can I live meaningfully?

Now, people will tell someone like me (single and lonely) to go visit a nursing home, and that makes sense, except I am a big picture kind of a person. You know, I'll walk into one of those places and immediately start thinking of how the health care system is horrible, and how nursing homes need to go the way of the dinosaur. I'll see despair all around, and I'll know that even though I visited once, I will never be able to muster the will to go again, even though the people in there do not deserve to be abandoned. And then...I will just feel like a guilty loser all over again. You get the point. 

So, I did some googling today and found a nice bit of advice on how to live a meaningful life. Really, the guy or whoever wrote the blog really had my number. He said most of us don't live meaningfully because we think we have to do something totally slamming, and so we sit around and try to think of what that thing is, and of course we come up with nothing, so we do nothing. 

Instead, he wrote, if you want to change the world, start small. Take a few seconds out of your day and do something for somebody else, and then just build on whatever you are doing.

It's not that his idea is news but it was good to be reminded of the truth. Sometimes a few seconds is all it really takes to make a difference for somebody. That's something for me to happily chew on for the rest of the evening. It's better than turkey.

Good night, y'all. Blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment