Thursday, December 11, 2014

Getting A Life with Asperger's



This is a humorous new book I found while perusing the library the other day. Most of the time, stories by authors on the autism spectrum do not interest me all that much, but this one piqued my curiosity for some reason. 

I've only read a few chapters so far but admittedly it's pretty good. Jesse does not describe his journey as a healing one, but clearly--or at least in my opinion--it is. 

Reading his story is somewhat bittersweet. His memories of being bullied evoke memories of my own pain-filled days, and those memories are hard to shut down once they begin to flow. Yet, Jesse's successes are similar to mine, too, and remembering them brings me joy.

I do disagree with this thoughts on "romance." For what I hope are for obvious reasons, I do not advocate sex outside of marriage as he does (because this is part of the "normal" life men his age strive for), but other than that, this story is surprisingly encouraging.  I think it can bring some peace of mind to parents with children on the spectrum. 

Of course, I was reminded the other day by an insightful blog post on Practical Theology for Women that all of these books I have shared with you are really secondary aids on the healing journey. The Bible is always primary because it is God's heart. Out of his heart flows His thoughts for us, and knowing His thoughts is what allows us to be in relationship with Him. None of the world's wisdom can compete with that relationship and the love we receive from it. 

Blessings to you all today. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment