Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Imagination & Healing

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." ~Einstein
I have been thinking a lot about imagination lately and the role it has played in my healing. Can't help but think how important imagination must be in this journey although we often dismiss thoughts not based in any type of reality as just fantasy. 

Imagination can be fantasy sometimes, and to be truthful, imagination can also be destructive. But what if we learned to submit our dreams to God? What if He cleansed them if they were tainted somehow? What if they became holy? What if they were from Him in the first place?

Anyway, here's just a little example of how imagination helped me one time. When I weighed 215 pounds for years, and years, and years, it didn't seem to keep me from remembering the times I ran through the corn field behind my house or beat all the other kids in the 100 yard dash throughout my time in elementary school so when I pictured myself in the future, it was that healthy, athletic person in my mind I always saw living life. Not the sick person I had become. 

And although I'm not the 125 pounds I used to be (I'm not that tall), I am (just for the sake of disclosure so this post resonates with people--I generally don't walk around advertising my poundage) 149 pounds. And even though I am 43, I can run again after twenty years of being almost completely sedentary. I lost the extra weight about seven years ago.

Today, not really even close to having a satisfying career, I imagine myself functioning in the vocation I believe God intends for me. This vision is always before me in my mind's eye, so I challenge you, if you are praying for the healing of a son or daughter, imagine (if it's not too painful--sometimes it is) to think of her as inviting her friends over, and to think of him as shaking the hands of every stranger he ever meets. Or imagine them in any life giving/receiving capacity. The point is, imagine the healing.

This is not a tool to use to replace prayer or meditation upon God's word. It is simply a way of seeing a reality that is more in line with God's will than what we presently see. Sickness is not of Him though sometimes it remains despite our most fervent prayers. I cannot deny this, and it is mysterious to me. Overall, however, I do think His heart is geared towards us living and functioning in health. 

Imagine that world with me, if you will. 

Blessings! 

This is what the Lord says— he who made a way through the sea, a path through the mighty waters, “Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past. See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the wilderness and streams in the wasteland." ~Isaiah 43:16, 18-19

No comments:

Post a Comment