Friday, January 2, 2015

"Disabled" Is A Crappy Word

********
Honestly, I never thought crappy would ever show up in one of my blog post titles. Except the other day, someone's online photo caught my eye and underneath it the caption read "Disabled," and that's when I thought how crappy that word really is. 

The prefix, DIS, had suddenly loomed large in my eyes the moment I saw it and with good reason. It means away, asunder, apart, or utterly and as Dictionary.com puts it: used freely, especially with these latter senses, as an English formative (whatever that means): "disability; disaffirm; disbar; disbelief; discontent; dishearten; dislike; disown

Do any of those words sound positive to you? I told you...dis is one nasty prefix.

You might not draw a paycheck but there is nothing about you completely separated or apart from ability just because you do not work right now. The same is true even if you never work again. The fact is, if you can read this post and make sense out of what I am saying, then you have what it takes to figure out how to do something positive for yourself and for others around you.

Just because a body part doesn't work anymore or it never did, doesn't mean the brokenness from it has to transcend every part of your life for the rest of your life. There's more to you than that. 

So please, if you post a picture of yourself online, find a better word better than "disabled" as a self-descriptor. If you don't, you will probably hear from me. 



No comments:

Post a Comment