Thursday, January 1, 2015

Praying "Against" Autism


Last night I watched a man on YouTube praying "against" autism. Without doubt, his intentions were loving and kind. 

Still, something inside of me balks a little when I hear someone say they want to come up against an illness in prayer. 

Maybe it is because I have been on the receiving end of this type of intercession too many times to count, but really, how does a child in that same situation of being prayed for perceive those words? How do they know that someone is not coming up against them personally? They don't.

Worse, are the intercessors trying to bind up and cast out a "spirit of autism"? Autism is not a spirit but rather a conglomeration of physiological, neurological, emotional, and yes, even spiritual issues, so again, the choice of words one uses during prayer is pretty crucial here. 

I think it's wise to not make a prayer recipient feel like they themselves are the enemy (i.e., "I am coming up against something that is inside of you."). Rather, it would seem more benevolent to say, "I would like to pray for the healing of autism and anything else that might be going on today." This choice of words makes the illness the problem to be dealt with. Not the person with the illness. 

2 comments:

  1. I agree. I heard someone say one time while praying for their child, that they said to them. Now so and so, I am not speaking to you, You are loved etc etc, and then started to speak to the other issues telling them to leave etc. I felt like that was a better approach. But not 100% sure that is still the best.?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christian Healing Ministries teaches that AT TIMES a word of command is given for an illness to leave but the prayer minister is asked to be SURE the command is coming from the Holy Spirit at that time because if it is not the recipient will not only not be healed, they will be hurt and
      disappointed. Instead of commanding, it is generally better to ASK Jesus if He would heal the problems at hand. With autism, I always ask the Lord to heal specific parts of the brain whether it is mine or someone else's as those parts relate to specific problems a person has. In my opinion commanding is very close to demanding and has little to do with faith, although when dealing with a spirit commanding is necessary, but yelling, as prayer ministers are often prone to do, is not. Autism is NOT a spirit in and of itself however and cannot be commanded to leave. That said, I do think a spirit of anger is usually part of the autism make up and should be addressed during prayer ministry--but gently!

      Delete