Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Goodbye John Paul

Every culture and social sphere has those people. People who are just known by all the others in those same spheres. There seems to be, in human nature, a need to just zero in on someone for no other reason than to simply admire them. In the Christian realm, John Paul Jackson, who died today, was that person--or at least one of them. 

Yesterday, when I wrote the original text (well the first paragraph up there is still from my original blog entry) for this post, I more or less had in mind not John Paul but my memories of the way people admired him and others like him. For the most part, those memories are not overtly positive, and I personally believe admiring leaders is actually a burden to them in the long run. That is why I do not do it. On the other hand, I am fiercely loyal. 

Anyway, in my attempt to communicate why I choose not to be in awe of other people's fame, I feel like disrespect for a whole array of individuals was imparted instead. I can't let those words stand so they are gone now.

My problem was and still is that I never knew John Paul Jackson, yet his sudden departure from this life has left my heart in acute pain. I think I was a little angry about that yesterday. I do not feel like I have the right to mourn for someone I don't know. 

Except not mourning has proven not to be an option. Tears keep falling out of my eyes even when I will them to stay in. 

Maybe when I was not looking he became a father in the faith. I don't know. Truthfully, most of the time I listened to him my tendency was to mentally argue most of his points. Then I would begrudgingly admit he was right (well, not all the time, but usually) and go through the same thing a few days later. I have been watching him weekly on youTube and Streams for four years now. 

When you feel some dissonance over what another person is talking about for that long I guess you do not pay attention to the love that creeps in for that same person. But I guess that is what happened to me. And to many other people around the world, too...

John Paul Jackson, you have seen your Father's face. You are finally in His arms. God Bless you, John Paul, and thank you for your faithful service to Our Lord, Savior, and King--Jesus Christ. You ran a most excellent race. Peace be with your family, and God, bless them richly with your comfort and care, too. Not just now but forever. 

You are and will be sorely missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment