Monday, November 14, 2016

Emotional Healing & Maturity



During this--my--journey of healing I, until recently, constantly held onto one assumption. I had assumed that the majority of adults in my life possessed some degree, if not a large degree of emotional maturity but because of autism, I didn't. My primary motivation to be healed was to obtain this elusive maturity so I could grow into the kind of mind I hoped it was possible to possess. 

I'm here to tell you, my autistic friends, that my assumption was 100% wrong. First of all, maturity is not a product of the mind. It is a product of our emotions, and our emotions cannot change if our spirit is in need of healing. Most people do not recognize these things about themselves so the second part of my assumption--that the majority of individuals in my life possess emotional maturity and I don't because of autism--was also flat out wrong.

Emotional maturity is marked by a willingness to love. It's not necessarily measured in how successful we are in loving because learning to love and walking in it is a continual process. Although it gets better with time, loving perfectly doesn't happen until we get Home. Our efforts must be empowered by the Holy Spirit for one thing, and additionally God allows us to fail at our attempts to love others in order to teach us lessons about Himself that are more valuable than gold!

But the second mark of emotional maturity is a willingness to forgive. And that needs to be followed by a willingness to give up the right to be offended. Jesus was never offended by anyone. I'm not saying this is an easy road to walk. But I'm saying it is a necessary one--to desire to be like Him and to walk in His ways. 

You've heard it a million times--you know what the fruit of Holy Spirit is: love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. Many Christians I know at the moment are anxious to show the world how spiritually gifted they are. I implore you, however, to be anxious to show how much fruit of the Holy Spirit you want to see released into this world through you.

Pursue the fruit of the Holy Spirit. Especially gentleness right now. The Holy Spirit gives us power, but the definition of meekness, which Jesus was and is, is "controlled power." We want to use this power--the power of God's love to destroy the works of the enemy which is precisely what Jesus came to this earth to do. We are meant to do what He did. And to do these things, we must always walk in love.

The need for emotional healing never ends. I don't care how much prayer you've received for your wounds. I don't care how old you are. I don't care about your professional background. I don't even care if you are a healing prayer minister (prayer ministers are usually in greater need of healing than those to whom they minister), I'm telling you today this journey to healing never, ever ends.

You cannot love if you are emotionally broken any more than a bucket can hold water if it has a hole in it. 

Let God heal your wounds. He can. He wants to. He loves you. 

Blessings!

Kelly

No comments:

Post a Comment