Tuesday, November 1, 2016

What Happens During Healing Prayer



It occurred to me today that maybe some of you, if not many of you, would like to receive healing prayer but haven't because you aren't sure of the process. 

Protocol probably varies from ministry to ministry, but I can describe the process with which I'm most familiar. 

In a nutshell, prayer ministry starts with a phone call. You find a church or para-church ministry and contact them to make an appointment. There is no cost for the appointment, but some organizations require you to fill out an intake sheet (a questionnaire of sorts) so they can kind of get to know you before they ever see you. Personally, I like the intake sheets. They are a big time saver.

The intake sheets contain questions that ask about your nuclear and extended family. That is because patterns of illness tend to run in families. For example my father had diabetes and died at age 59. His father also had died diabetes and died at age 59. Also, cognitive issues have been prevalent in my father's family line for at least three generations. These types of patterns are pertinent and should be addressed during ministry. 

After you fill out the sheet and email it back to whoever sent it to you, then comes the actual appointment. A prayer ministry that cares about accountability will always have a team of two people doing the praying. The atmosphere should be quiet, inviting, and peaceful. 

My prayer appointments have always been about 90 minutes long, but for about the first 20 to 30 minutes, you will be asked quite a few questions. Basically you are sitting through an interview, and while you are giving your responses, both team members are listening to you but are also listening to the Holy Spirit for His wisdom so they will know how to pray for you. 

When that part is over, that's when the praying begins! Again, it's typically a quiet, peaceful process. No one doing the praying should ever shout, move suddenly, or touch you inappropriately. Prayer ministers should let you know if they feel led to hold your hand, give you a hug, etc., and ask for your permission first. I rarely say this, as I don't like the expression, but truly during a prayer session it's pretty much all about you. Your safety and your healing come first. It's all that matters.

Healing can and often does take place even as prayer is still continuing, but in my case, that has never, ever happened! When I first began receiving prayer, I used to feel disappointed and a little jealous of others who got noticeably zapped by the Holy Spirit during their own ministry appointments. But then I would go home and about three days later my own healing would quietly appear, pretty much without fail. 

Through that (having to wait and return home empty-handed so to speak) I learned that healing is not dramatic at all. It's actually kind of boring and often hard to initially notice to the point I can't help but wonder if that's why people don't really want to be healed. It doesn't draw attention the way injury does. That may be not be true, but still...the thought has crossed my mind a time or two... 

So there you have it. If you want to be well, you know the first step. Don't wait. Pick up the phone and change your life. The Holy Spirit is waiting for you...

No comments:

Post a Comment